Are you sitting down? Ok, good. This morning I did it. I got up early and I went for a run! I know, I know...I'm awesome. I've been thinking about it and wanting to get started for a few weeks now, and today I FINALLY did. AND, I didn't die, or get kidnapped. I thought I was going to pass out a couple of times...wanted too...but didn't. Mainly because a lot of my neighbors were out and about this morning and I didn't want to completely embarrass myself :)
Don't worry, I'm not running out to buy new running gear or anything...we'll see if this sticks first, but I have to say, I feel great! I'm more super proud of myself than anything It wasn't long, and I didn't go far, but I DID IT. I have been reading other blogs, and googling a lot, trying to settle on a good beginners running app to use, and after reading reviews upon reviews I chose Easy 5K with Jeff Galloway. It's supposed to be able to get you ready to run in your first 5K in just 8 weeks, by running 3 days a week and alternating between walking and running. Day 1 wasn't so bad. It began with a 3 minute warm up walk, and then a 10 minute run/walk, alternating every minute, then ended with a 3 minute cool down walk. It tracks your time, distance (I went just over a mile), and all kinds of other stats I don't really care about. The alternating pattern was perfect for me today, because during the running minutes I just kept telling myself that I could do anything for a minute! Sometimes those minutes went by quickly, an other minutes seemed super long.
I still need to play with the app to fully figure out how to use it. It says you can sync your music with it and it'll change with the tempo of your run, but i haven't figured all that out yet. Today I just listened to the pre-programmed music it came with. During the entire run Jeff, my new friend, told me when to run and when to walk, and gave me little words of encouragement along the way...it's really thoughtless, and perfect for the early morning.
Ok, you can stop applauding me now :) I'll let you know how it goes.
Dad.
4 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment